Frage

Antwort

Lösung

Vodafone Cable Internet - Ethernet ports in other rooms
d3d3
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

Hi,

I have been using Vodafone tariff Giga 1000 Mb/s for quite some time. I am kind of satisfied with the ethernet speeds but WIFI coverage & speed is not great in other rooms inside the apartment. 

I have my router set up in the living room but I also have bunch out ethernet outputs in other rooms as well (numbered until 4). I checked those to see if they are active but they are not. What's the best way to activate those ethernet ports with a single router sitting in living room so in rooms where WIFI signal and speed is not enough I can use the ethernet connection? I am not familiar with the wiring of the house so it's not feasible to do trial and error here or invest into some hardware prematurely. 

I remember technician seeing those during internet set up and saying something about how I can use those but I don't remember details. 

1 Akzeptierte Lösung

Akzeptierte Lösungen

first you need a small ethernet switch

then connect one Fritzbox lan port with the ethernet outlet on the wall

then use four short ethernet cable and connect the switch with ports 1-4 (picture 3)

now you can use the ethernet outlets in the other rooms  😉

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

7 Antworten 7
RobertP
Giga-Genie
Giga-Genie

Is there a box with a patch panel in the corridor?

example:

RobertP_1-1724920048463.png

d3d3
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

Yes, there is one and here are the pictures. 

Just for the context, I was using DSL before so there may be left over cables there. 

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-29 at 12.15.10.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-08-29 at 12.15.11 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-08-29 at 12.15.11.jpeg

first you need a small ethernet switch

then connect one Fritzbox lan port with the ethernet outlet on the wall

then use four short ethernet cable and connect the switch with ports 1-4 (picture 3)

now you can use the ethernet outlets in the other rooms  😉

d3d3
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

Thank you, I haven't tested yet but I believe you are correct. I also would like to confirm my understanding with you before purchasing hardware pieces. This would be useful for later issues and changes in home network. 

1. I believe orange cables (4 of those in the patch panel) are coming from each room that has the ethernet wall outlet and ends there? 
  2. If I connect Router's Ethernet port to Living Room's Ethernet wall outlet that would bring the active connection to this patch box? (in this case living room has label 4, brings connection to orange labeled 4)
  3. Short ethernet cable connection from Ethernet switch to each orange cables would allow active connection to distribute the active connection to each room and that would bring active connection in each room Ethernet wall outlet.
  4. One thing that confuses me a little bit at each room's wall there are two Ethernet outlet, is that normal or one of them will be actively used?

Let me know if I have missed or misunderstood anything here.  

@d3d3  schrieb:

I believe orange cables (4 of those in the patch panel) are coming from each room that has the ethernet wall outlet and ends there? 

that's correct

@d3d3  schrieb:

If I connect Router's Ethernet port to Living Room's Ethernet wall outlet that would bring the active connection to this patch box? (in this case living room has label 4, brings connection to orange labeled 4)

true

@d3d3  schrieb:
Short ethernet cable connection from Ethernet switch to each orange cables would allow active connection to distribute the active connection to each room and that would bring active connection in each room Ethernet wall outlet.

yes

@d3d3  schrieb:
One thing that confuses me a little bit at each room's wall there are two Ethernet outlet, is that normal or one of them will be actively used?

depends on what electrican did insinde the outlet

one cabel (the orange one) with 8 cable cores can only supply one outlet with gigabit ethernet

d3d3
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

awesome! thanks for confirmation, accepted your answer as solution. 

Kurtler
SuperUser
SuperUser

The thread has been marked as resolved. Then I'll close the thread here.

Best regards Kurt

Bitte keine Anfragen über PN stellen!