Frage

Antwort

Lösung

[ENG] [Berlin] Slow, high latency, packet loss - very often
ChristianSlot
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

Hi 

I really hope you can help. I am experiencing a very unstable connection, even though I should have 400 mb download. My connection is frustratingly slow. Sometimes I get the advertised bandwidth, but the packet loss and very low latencies makes me crazy. Upload speed also drops to a significantly lower number during the day.

Needless to say, I'm a nerd myself. I've been working in IT technical customer service for the biggest Danish ISP. So I've tried everything: Turned modem/router on-off, directly with a cable, added my own brand new Mesh router to the modem.

When I'm gaming, the ms spikes to 2-300 ms. And I cannot do video/voice interviews - it lags too much. 

I'm in a situation where me and my wife works as journalists, so we'd have to conduct (tv) interviews at home. This is not possible with the internet speeds being so slow. Can I upgrade the line somehow?

My kundenummer is *** (Martina ***)

*** 10405 Berlin
(I'm contacting you on behalf of my landlady)

Info from admin screen:

System

Serial Number ***
Firmware version AR01.02.068.11_092320_711.PC20.10
Hardware Type & Version 7

LAN Port 1 Active 1 Gbps
LAN Port 2 Active 100 Mbps
LAN Port 3 Active 100 Mbps
LAN Port 4 Inactive 0 Gbps

Edit: Private data removed for data protection reasons
33 Antworten 33
Claudia
Ex-Moderator:in

Hello ChristianSlot,

what speed do you get at the LAN1 port of the router? Please also send a Pingplotter measure you made via ethernet to the services that have troubles with packetloss and a higher latency. Do the problems occur rather in the evening or throughout the whole day? Did you check or replace the coaxial cable already?

Kind regards

Claudia

Bewertet hilfreiche Beiträge mit Likes!

Hi Claudia

It is by far worst at night.

It doesn't really matter whether I connect to port 1 or 4 in the router. I never get the advertised speed. 

Sometimes my download speed is actually okay. But the ms is still 150-200. Then for the next 10 minutes it will drop to 4-10 mbit / 2 mbit. It's very unreliable.

I've check the coaxial cable: the cable itself seems quite OK. But the splitter that goes into the wall, where I only use the internet, data out, port, is a bit "loose" into the wall. 

One question: When I log into the modem/router, I cannot change the modem/router to a "modem only mode". I wanted to test connecting my own expensive mesh router to port 1 of the modem. 

If I select "deactivate wifi" in the UA, I cannot use the modem at all.

Claudia

Hallo ChristianSlot,

what about the Pingplotter? You can enable the bridge mode in the customer portal, after that the Arris works as a modem. Please also send your customer number, the full address and the name and date of birth of the contract owner via private message. Reply here in this thread afterwards.

Kind regards

Claudia

Hey Claudia

Where do I change it to bridge mode? Havent found it.

arrid.png

Regarding the speedtests I've carried out a few (cabled to port 1). 

Unavngivet.png

Claudia

Hello ChristianSlot,

as I wrote, the bridemode can be activated in the customer portal. You can find the setting under Einstellungen -> Interneteinstellungen. What you sent isn't a Pingplotter and I didn't get a PN with your details either.

Regards,

Claudia

I've sent a PM now*

Hi Claudia

Here you can se the massive lag yesterday evening for different services:
- Gaming: League of Legends, World of Tanks, CS:GO (servers in EU)

- Steraming: My streaming service in Denmark (TDC/YouSee).

lag.png

Tobias

Hey,

well, did you tried the bridgemode actually? The line looks fine for now.

Regards

Tobias

Hi Tobias

#1Regarding Bridge mode:
I've switched to bridge mode, but I'll have to turn of Homespot to enable bridge mode. And for some reason it takes 7 days to diasble Homespot: 

Lieber Kunde, Du hast den Homespot-Service hiermit ausgeschaltet.

In ca. sieben Tagen wird diese Änderung wirksam. Während dieser Zeit ist eine erneute Änderung der Einstellung nicht möglich.

#2 Regarding "line is fine"
The Line is still not fine. As you can see from Pingplotter, the MS spikes to crazy numbers during night. It's like this every night. And during the day/night sometimes the speed itself drops to below 10 mbits. That is unacceptable.

Can you just terminate the contract already?