Frage

Antwort

Lösung

ipv6 host exposure / port forwarding / VPN to home.
arpaterson
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

I'm sorry my German is not good enough for this topic. 

I want to connect to some computers at home while I am away from home - for example using openVPN or Wireguard. (eg. using a vodafone mobile connection to connect to my home which has vodafone kabel)

So far I have not been able to even ping a valid IP, no matter what I try.

IPV6 Host Exposure does not seem to work.

Can you please (pRo-Marco, TinaG) look into this?
It is possible I don't understand something with ipv6, but I do have a lot of experience with this in the past.

There is no information from Vodafone on this, and a lot of reports of issues with the firmware on the Vodafone Station. My last apartment had huge issues with the Vodafone Station firmware (I had to return it twice because of bugs in the port forwarding that even a factory reset could not resolve, then I gave up trying to use port forwarding).
I would be using a 3rd party router, but there is not even a Bridge Mode option...

I am in NRW on a cable connection.

Vodafone Station firmware: 19.3B57-1.0.41

Do I have Dual Stack or DS-Lite?
How is IPV6 Host Exposure supposed to work (if it is working correctly)?

I believe this is something we should be able to do with our home connections, and not something limited to a business account. If that is the case we will cancel our contract immediately as it is unreasonable.

17 Antworten 17

So if I went to Saturn and picked up one of the Kabel fritzboxes (eg. Fritz!Box 6690 Cable), I could just plug it in?

I had thought only the Vodafone Station could be used.
When vodafone replaced a Vodafone Station previously, we returned the new one by mistake because the old one began to function normally again. After a month, our internet was cut, because the MAC of our Vodafone Station no longer matched what Vodafone expected.

We have Phone + Internet 250 (cable, in NRW)
Gigabit is not yet available in our street. Are you sure this is still possible? I have read conflicting information about that. In any case I don't have a need for Gigabit even when I am using everything in anger all at the same time. Its just two of us here.

If we had dual stack, doesn't that mean we would have full ipv4 connectivity and ipv4 port forwarding alongside full ipv6?
Bridge mode wouldn't be necessary in that case, unless I really wanted to have public servers that adressable via both ipv4 and ipv6.
Which I would -  but primarily I just need one or the other to work.

@arpaterson  schrieb:

So if I went to Saturn and picked up one of the Kabel fritzboxes (eg. Fritz!Box 6690 Cable), I could just plug it in?

Yes, but in NRW the boxes have to be activated by the Hotline or one of the social media support channels -- you cannot acitvate the box by yourself as there is no self-service activation portal available in NRW.

Ah OK, that is helpful information.

+300 eur to still have only ipv6 and not sure that it actually solves the problem.

I will try do find other users that have a fritzbox and can connect via ipv6 only.

I compared the routing tables of my Windows machine with my ubuntu/debian machines. 
There is no difference I can see.

The default route is there in both.
::/0 -> fe80:voda:fone:stat:ion

The debian ubuntu boxes just can't be reached, or cannot reach back out through the firewall.

The debian/ubuntu machines are fresh install with default configurations. Neither the default, nor any experimental config changes I made would work.

It is strange that the windows machine can (remote desktop works), and suggests that the Vodafone Station is not the problem - I admit that, but I cannot confirm that.

@arpaterson  schrieb:

We have Phone + Internet 250 (cable, in NRW)

extend your contract whith the power upload option (3€ per month)  - [mandatory for dual stack]

then contact Vodafone via Twitter, FB or Whatsapp and let them switch your connection to dual stack (for free)

Were you able to expose the linux devices? Im struggling with the same 😕

I found a way to solve all this. You just need to configure your vodafone box to work in "bridge" mode. This allowed me to set my custom router as the main router, I defined port forwarding rules there directly. Now the vodafone device serves only as a modem. 

Here the step by step :https://www.vodafone.de/featured/service-hilfe/vodafone-bridge-mode-aktivieren/#/

I didnt use an ethernet cable , as they suggest.