Cancellation of Vodafone Contract
Lolo27
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have a question concerning my contract with Vodafone. I had recently my phone stolen, therefore since I don't have a phone yet I have contacted Vodafone via post with the request to cancel our contract and provided all documents needed (ex. police report proving that I indeed dont have a phone anymore). I have as well moved to another country due to work reasons, therefore this cancellation is once more explained.

Few days letter I received a confusing email from Vodafone and when translating in English I understood that our contract will not be cancelled with emediate effect, but that I will have to continue paying or pay at once all the remaining months.

First, I would like to know the amount of this bill. I don't understand why they didn't agree to cancel the contract since I physically can't use their service. 

Secondlly, if no agreement is found, could this cancellation be reversed? I will eventually by a phone, so instead of paying a huge amount for something that I will not be able to use, could I  ask for a new sim card and continue paying the monthly charge until the expiration of our contract?

My customer number is: xxx*

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Best regards,

Loredana

*Customer number removed.

3 Antworten 3
reneromann
SuperUser
SuperUser

Just to clarify:

If your phone is stolen, your contract will continue normally. The contract is not bound to a specific phone, it's more like you buy a phone and get it for a discounted price if you also subscribe a contract.

You can still use the contract if you insert the SIM card to another phone (that you have to buy on your own). Therefor there is no right to premature cancel the contract just because the phone is stolen or defective.

Lolo27
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer
Thank you for your response.

In my letter to Vodafone I also provided proof that I moved to Luxembourg for work reasons. The proof included deregistration form German authorithies, registration in Luxembourg and even the work contract. Also, I noticed that there is no Vodafone in Luxembourg. Until now I was in roaming which I found very expensive for making calls.

Is this also not a reason for cancelling the contract?

Best regards,
Lolo27

No - moving to another country is no reason for a premature cancellation of a mobile contract as you can still use it as contractually agreed (this includes Roaming fees if using the contract abroad - but these were also contractually agreed)! Only landline contracts can be cancelled prematurely if the contract cannot be fullfilled at the new destination...