[EN] Modem keeps restarting/Disconnecting
MHN
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

Hello ,

I seem to have a problem with my connection. The WIFI signal is off sometimes and gets connected after 3 - 4 minutes. Even when connected there is a lot of Request timed outs which is very painful when working with citrix/vdi/VMWARE. They get stuck and take time to get connected again. So working from home is very difficult with both me and my wife working. Could you please help me out here ?

11 Antworten 11
Kieferer
Host-Legende
Host-Legende

With LAN everything is OK, with WLAN you get dropouts?
Please post your event log and your docsis level values.

Userban wg. wiederholter Missachtung der Forenregeln. Gruß, das Mod-Team

MHN
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

Event log attached here.

MHN
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

DOCSIS attached here

Thank you for your support.

Docsis

Some SNR/MSE values are a bit too low. Possibly there is an LTE irradiation.

In upstream the level is ok, one channel has only 32QAM but should be 64QAM.

Eventlog

There are countless disconnects visible. The meaning of Reason=34 doesn't tell me anything, but it looks like the connection was aborted due to lack of signal strength.

Example 12:03 disconnect at 12:04 reconnect. The last known connection was established with 6Mbits.

Your VF station is in an inaccurate place. Load the AVM WLAN App and check the signal strength (dBm) and position the VF station at another place. ( -30dBm means good -80dBm means bad)

At the moment - what I can see -there is no error on the part of VF, also the router seems to be OK. Do a speed test in the immediate vicinity of the VF station with the 5GHz band.
The customer is responsible for optimizing the WIFI. Don't call a VF technician, that could be costly - 100€.

Example of a poor WIFI connection

11/12/2021 12:03:56
DISASSOC - MAC=00:bb:60:0e:6f:46, Reason=34; WGMAC=EC:A9:40:78:D1:47; IF=wlan0_0 
11/12/2021 12:03:57
MAC 00:bb:60:0e:6f:46 associated to Kanavu; WGMAC=EC:A9:40:78Smiley (überglücklich)1:47; IF=wlan0_0
WLAN
11/12/2021 12:03:57
WG-MAC=EC:A9:40:78Smiley (überglücklich)1:47; STAMAC=00:bb:60:0e:6f:46; IF=wlan0_0; SSID=Kanavu;
ConnectionState=connected; WirelessMode=802.11n;
LastTxPhyRate=78Mbps; LastRxPhyRate=6Mbps;
MaxSupportedRate:144Mbps; EncryptMode=AES;
AuthMode=WpaPsk; RSSI=-60dBm; Channel=2462MHz;
Radio=2.4G; Bandwidth=20M; TxFailPkts=0;
RetransPkts=0

Here is an example that your WIFI connection is down due to weak signal strength.
After reconnecting, 77 retransmits were sent.

The connection is interrupted again. 12:04:20

11/12/2021 12:04:20 DISASSOC - MAC=00:bb:60:0e:6f:46, Reason=34; WGMAC=EC:A9:40:78:D1:47; IF=wlan0_0
WLAN
11/12/2021 12:04:20
REASON-CODEDESCR=PREV_AUTH_NOT_VALID;REASON-CODE=2;
WG-MAC=EC:A9:40:78:D1:47; STAMAC=00:bb:60:0e:6f:46; IF=wlan0_0; SSID=Kanavu;
ConnectionState=forcedDisassociatedAuth;
WirelessMode=802.11n; LastTxPhyRate=104Mbps;
LastRxPhyRate=117Mbps;
MaxSupportedRate:144Mbps; EncryptMode=AES;
AuthMode=WpaPsk; RSSI=-60dBm; Channel=2462MHz;
Radio=2.4G; Bandwidth=20M; TxFailPkts=0;
RetransPkts=77

Oraganize a LAN Cable Smiley (zwinkernd)

Supplementary:

The VF Station is OK, no restarts. Your WIFI signal strength is too weak, so it changes the frequency bands.

Good speed you get with 5Ghz band, but your signal strength 5Ghz band looks really bad.

11/12/2021 12:04:19
WG-MAC=EC:A9:40:78:D1:48; STAMAC=00:bb:60:0e:6f:46; IF=wlan1_0; SSID=Kanavu;
ConnectionState=connected; WirelessMode=802.11ac;
LastTxPhyRate=117Mbps; LastRxPhyRate=6Mbps;
MaxSupportedRate:433Mbps; EncryptMode=AES;
AuthMode=WpaPsk; RSSI=-73dBm; Channel=5320MHz;
Radio=5G; Bandwidth=80M; TxFailPkts=0;
RetransPkts=0

I don't know the size of your apartment, where your router is located and where your study is.
Also, the signal strength depends on how many WIFI access points - they are disturbing - are in your environment, concrete or wood construction or the thickness of the walls attenuate the signal differently.

First of all I would look for another place for the VF station, closer to the study.

If that doesn't work and you see WIFI as the ultimate transmission medium, you should consider a Tri Band Mesh system. But don't expect it to work flawlessly at full speed. It depends on your environment.

As mentioned, there is no substitute for LAN cable.

Organize a LAN cable

MHN
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

Hi Kieferer,

Thank you for your time in analysing them.

I am attaching a layout of my house here for more clarity. The maximum distance between my modem and the work areas are 5 Meters. The walls are 10cm - dry walls dividing the rooms. X marks the modem and you can see my two work places.

The problem is not only on one of the laptops, it gets disconnected in all the devices which i work on and my wife works on at the same time as i can hear her shouting and i instantly know what the reason is 😉 .

Also, the modem i am using is Vodafone Gray modem, not a fritz box. The AVM app on phone next to my laptop shows avaera 58 dBm in my workplace. 30dBm only if i stand next to it. Across the same room i am getting 48 - 50 dBm(my wife's workplace). looking at the scale, this is still good ? From your messages i see the RSSI for my laptop which is located in the same place once has 60dBm and another time 73 dBm, any reason why this is ?

https://www.netspotapp.com/what-is-rssi-level.html

I tried using a repeater as some of my (old smart plugs)devices detect only 2ghz signal, i can see them disconnecting as well. 

My TV that is next to the modem which is connected to WLAN via MI BOX also disconects. (if i connect on LAN here, i lose CAST option).Using a LAN cable is not feasible/practical for other devices.

Disconnection in the sense, the WLAN name sometimes is not shown while searching(perahps restarting?). And at times, it is connected but connected without internet. And ofcourse RTOs.

With your tamagotschi you have measured the reception, the VF station does the same on the receiver side. So the reception on your wifi devices is good but bad on the station. Definitely the VF station has a higher transmitter strength than your Tamagotschis.

Purely for interest, how many wifi networks and in what strength are receivable?

It would be bad if other networks with similar signal strength as your own channel are available.

If this is the case, you should make a manual channel selection.

I probably have to read your text again, maybe I can find a solution.

Nice apartment layout for a DINKs household.

MHN
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

I can detect around 5 wifi networks as it is a building of 12 apartments. I have only one WIFI network. 

The max devices i connect at a time can be, 2x laptops, 2 phones, 1 Nest and 1 TV in the evenings. 

For the laptops i see them always at full signal, see attachment.  

I used to connect more devices in my old apartment with DSL 16MBps with another provider, had no problems. So this makes me wonder why i am having this problem with 100 MBps.

is there a way to monitor the events/logs for a longer period, say 1 week to 1 month. That might give you a better understanding of what we are facing? I would really appreciate it if you could help me out here. I was able to manage with hotspot at times of frequent disconnections, but my wife finds it very difficult to work with this as she started working as well since a month. 

Appreciate your help here.