Frage

Antwort

Lösung

Instructions for bridge mode unclear
GuiMR
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

As you can probably guess my German isn't great.

I'm trying to set up my network. I have a good router that I want to use for all firewalling and NAT purposes. I want the router Vodafone gave me to operate in bridge mode only. If it helps: my router is an Edgerouter X. I run DHCP off of it.

I already turned off Homespot and all that, I can turn bridge mode on right away. However the instructions are a mess and I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do.

They keep mentioning adjustments to the device's IP address and DHCP table to 192.164.44.X, but I can't even understand if they're telling me to do this to the router Vodafone gave me, or to my private router? They show examples of how to make these changes but they're all on DOCSIS routers... Do they expect me to own a cable-modem/router? Or am I supposed to make those changes in Vodafone's router before switching on bridge mode???

I'm very confused. Could someone please just tell me what exactly I'm supposed to do?

To be clear, I understand network settings. If you tell me exactly what ranges and IP addresses I need to configure in both routers I can do it.

1 Akzeptierte Lösung

Akzeptierte Lösungen

no need to adjust anything on the Vodafone device

simply login to my vodafone and enable Bridge Mode 

connect your routers wan port to lan1 of the vodafone device and configure the wan port for dhcp

thats all

greetings Robert 

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

8 Antworten 8
GuiMR
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

Forgot to mention, the Vodafone modem/router I'm using is a CGA4233DE.

no need to adjust anything on the Vodafone device

simply login to my vodafone and enable Bridge Mode 

connect your routers wan port to lan1 of the vodafone device and configure the wan port for dhcp

thats all

greetings Robert 

GuiMR
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

Ah, so you mean I tell my private router to accept an IP address given to it from outside?

that's correct

you setup your routers wan port for dhcp an the router get a public IP

GuiMR
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

Ok I'll do that. Thanks!

Martin59
Moderator:in

Hi GuiMR,

did the instructions of @RobertP help you?

Best regards,Martin

Bewertet hilfreiche Beiträge mit Likes und Sternen!
GuiMR
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

My bad, I should have said something.

Yes, it worked perfectly! The process is way simpler than the instructions provided by Vodafone make it seem.

I literally just configured my router's Wan setup to receive an IP by DHCP from the Wan connection. None of those absurd "192.168.44.*" IP address steps were needed.

So I guess you can lock this thread and leave it here, I'm sure sooner or later someone else will have the same issue and find this helpful.

Martin59

Hi GuiMR,

no problem.

Please mark the solution here, then I will complete the article.

Many greetings and stay healthy, Martin

Bewertet hilfreiche Beiträge mit Likes und Sternen!