abbrechen
Suchergebnisse werden angezeigt für 
Stattdessen suchen nach 
Meintest du 
Aktuelle Eilmeldungen

TV: Kabelfernsehen wird Mietersache. Jetzt handeln!
Deine Störung ist nicht dabei? Dann nutz unseren Störungsfinder!

Frage

Antwort

Lösung

Slow VPN Connection
MustafaMutlu
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

Hello,

While connected to a Vodafone internet if I turn on my company's private VPN the speed drops drastically. I already talked to my company's tech ops team and it seems like there are no issues on their end.

Can you help me with this?

I first asked this here but no one answered it.

Thanks,

Mustafa.

11 Antworten 11
Martin59
Moderator:in

Hello MustafaMutlu,

which speeds can you reach over a VPN and which without the VPN?

Many greetings, Martin

Bewertet hilfreiche Beiträge mit Likes und Sternen!
Without VPN: https://www.speedtest.net/result/10222287584 210 MBit download and 2 MBit upload With VPN: https://www.speedtest.net/result/10222298670 0.21 MBit download and 2 MBit upload Restarting the router helps. It fixes it for a couple of hours, but after that it drops to these levels again (I recognize from not being able to open web sites..). So everyday I restart the router at least once to make this work..
Martin59

Hello MustafaMutlu,

I would like to take a closer look.

Please send me your name, address, date of birth and customer number by PN .

Please contact us again afterwards.

Best regards, Martin

Hello MustafaMutlu,

were the speed tests carried out via LAN or W-LAN?

Best regards, Martin

I did it over WLAN

Martin59

Hello MustafaMutlu,

what do the results look like when you run the tests over a LAN connection?

Best regards, Martin

Hey Martin, 

I can't both connect to VPN and do the test over LAN because my company's laptop is a Macbook Pro without ethernet port and I unfortunately don't have a dongle for that..

Also, like I mentioned previously when I turn off the VPN I get 200 MBit over WLAN which is great becaue my internet plan is for 200 MBit so it's a good speed. When I turn on the VPN seconds after doing the first test, I get much lower speed, around 2 MBit also on WLAN. 

So both tests are on WLAN:

VPN on: 2Mbit download

VPN off: 200 Mbit download

Do we need to do more tests with LAN to see if speed improves when VPN is on because of the cable?

Being able to reach 200 MBit on WLAN when the VPN is turned off shows the speed isssue is not throttled by the WLAN connection.

What do you think?

Thanks for helping,

Mustafa

Manu
Ex-Moderator:in
Ex-Moderator:in

Hello MustafaMutlu,

which VPN service do you use?

Have you ever looked at which server your VPN connection goes through? If it is geographically far away, it can affect the speed.

Many greetings, Manu

The location of the VPN server is Frankfurt.

I don't think location is the issue, because when the speed is slow (2 MBit) I restart my router and after I restart my router I get decent speed (being 50 MBit).

So I don't know what causes this slow down. I also don't think another connection on the same router is causing the issue becaue when VPN is 2MBit I log off from VPN and the speed fine. It's only the VPN that is affected by the issue..