abbrechen
Suchergebnisse werden angezeigt für 
Stattdessen suchen nach 
Meintest du 
Aktuelle Eilmeldungen

TV: Kabelfernsehen wird Mietersache. Jetzt handeln!
Deine Störung ist nicht dabei? Dann nutz unseren Störungsfinder!

Frage

Antwort

Lösung

There are only coaxial outlets in my new apartment, how can I connect a PC to internet via cable?
username283
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

Hey everyone! Sorry for English

I just moved into a new apartment and noticed that there are no ethernet outlets in the walls. There are only coaxials, pictured below. In my old flat I could easily connect my PC by cable using ethernet sockets. I was quite surprised to find none of those in my new flat. I use Vodafone Kabel and pretty sure I need a DOCSIS modem to convert from coaxial to ethernet. The chances are slim but could there be a way to connect my PC to the Kabel model without running an ethernet cable across my entire flat? Any ideas are appreciated, thanks.

1 Akzeptierte Lösung

Akzeptierte Lösungen

Quick update. I ended buying a TP-Link powerline adapter after I couldn't find any MoCa coax-to-ethernet converters. Those that I found on Amazon weren't on prime and were quite expensive and bulky. However, I noticed an abundance of powerline adapters in MediaMarkt. I decided to give it a try and bought a pair. And it did wonders! It's a new technology to me but apparently sending signal over electric network is a decent enough compromise when there isn't ethernet wiring inside the apartment. I wonder if there are any drawbacks in terms of connection speed and power consumption, but so far it's been working fine.

I'm in no way affiliated with TP-Link. If you can find an alternative that is compact enough to fit inside the router box, that shall do the trick.

This question can be marked resolved.

Cheers!

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

4 Antworten 4
ERFD
Ex-Moderator:in
Ex-Moderator:in

Hello username283,

if there is no Ethernet installed this is bad but you can place the cable modem in the apartment so that you can supply certain devices with Ethernet via the modem and the rest you can run via WLAN. Which cable modem do you use exactly?

Regards Fred

Bewertet hilfreiche Beiträge mit Likes und Sternen!

Hey Fred!

Thank you for your reply. My modem is a CBN CH7466CE. The idea with placing the router near the PC sounds good enough, but then I would need a WiFi repeater to amplify the signal so that it's reachable from other rooms in the apartment. Are there any devices compatible with this modem that can boost the signal without the need to create a separate WiFi network?

Alternatively I was thinking about purchasing an extra device for converting ethernet data into a cable signal and back just to pass it from one room to another, but it just seems like a waste.

Anyway, I think I'll just move the modem to a different room to connect directly to my PC and research ways to boost the WiFi signal. If you could provide any recommendations I would really appreciat it.

Thank you!

Quick update. I ended buying a TP-Link powerline adapter after I couldn't find any MoCa coax-to-ethernet converters. Those that I found on Amazon weren't on prime and were quite expensive and bulky. However, I noticed an abundance of powerline adapters in MediaMarkt. I decided to give it a try and bought a pair. And it did wonders! It's a new technology to me but apparently sending signal over electric network is a decent enough compromise when there isn't ethernet wiring inside the apartment. I wonder if there are any drawbacks in terms of connection speed and power consumption, but so far it's been working fine.

I'm in no way affiliated with TP-Link. If you can find an alternative that is compact enough to fit inside the router box, that shall do the trick.

This question can be marked resolved.

Cheers!

Another update. While powerline adapters work, they cut down the speed severely. When I download stuff from Steam I would normally get around 50Mbps download speed on average, whereas using powerline gives me 14Mbps max. Quite a bummer considering that I'm paying for a much faster connection. But I guess I'll have to deal with this until I've found a better solution.