abbrechen
Suchergebnisse werden angezeigt für 
Stattdessen suchen nach 
Meintest du 
Aktuelle Eilmeldungen

TV: Kabelfernsehen wird Mietersache. Jetzt handeln!
Deine Störung ist nicht dabei? Dann nutz unseren Störungsfinder!

Frage

Antwort

Lösung

Bandwidth being throttled after upgrade to 1000 Mbps
hmagrini
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

Hello!

Since I upgraded my conection to 1000 Mbps I've have several problems with my internet stability and speed. This thread is however related to the speed as I've noticed at least 2 specific applications that are being throttled (that didn't have issues before):

1. VPN over IPSec (OpenVPN works fine)
  2. Google Meet (not related to VPN issues above)

The VPN issues are easier to debug:

• As you can see in the below table, whenever I connect to my company's VPN (that goes over IPSec) my bandwidth gets throttled down to 0.5 Mbps (test #2).
  • We can discard this issue coming from the VPN because the same VPN works perfectly fine on the same laptop over 4G Hotspot (test #6)
  • We can further assume some kind of throttling is happening because under the same conditions, turning off and on Vodafone's modem results in the VPN working fine for about 5-10 minutes before the throttling kicks in again (test #4)

speed-test.jpeg

Google Meet issues are significantly harder to debug, since it doesn't provide a way for me to meassure it's performance, but it's also clearly being throttled: 

• With VPN disconnected, Google Meet is super slow: video of participants is disabled and audio is choppy and barely audible.
  • With VPN disconnectedturning off and on Vodafone's modem results in Google Meet working fine for about 5-10 minutes before the throttling kicks in again.

What assumptions can we discard? 

1. It's not related to my personal hardware: having 2 laptops and a desktop they all have the same issue. Most importantly due to test #4 where the only variable changed is Vodafone's modem being powered off and on again, but also you can see that laptop I used for testing works fine in tests #1 #3 and #5 where the speed is working as expected.
  2. It's not related to how I connect to the modem: WLAN or LAN, issues are still present and show the same behaviours.
  3. It's not related to the VPN provider: see tests #5 and #6 that were performed where the only variable change is the ISP (Telekom over 4G Hotspot).

Summary
From my testing and the results provided above, they seem to point towards the protocols used by the VPN (IPSec) and Google Meet (whatever those are) are being throttled by Vodafone.

Apologies for the wall of text, looking forward to hearing a solution to this 🙂 Happy to provide further details/testing if needed.

1 Akzeptierte Lösung

Akzeptierte Lösungen
Martin59
Moderator:in

Hello hmagrini,

I have forwarded this once to the colleagues. Please test now if the malfunction persists.

Best regards, Martin

Bewertet hilfreiche Beiträge mit Likes und Sternen!

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

7 Antworten 7
Tobias
Ex-Moderator:in
Ex-Moderator:in

Hey,

this can have several causes, so I would like to have a look at the connection 🙂 Can you send me your customer data (customer number, name, address and date of birth of the contract holder) via private message?

Then please let me know in the post when you have sent me the data.

Regards

Tobias

Bewertet hilfreiche Beiträge mit Likes!

Hi @Tobias ! 
Sent the details requested 🙂

Martin59

Hello hmagrini,

I have forwarded this once to the colleagues. Please test now if the malfunction persists.

Best regards, Martin

Thanks @Martin59 , everything seems to be working properly now!

Martin59

Hello hmagrini,

thank you very much for your answer. Can we close the post with this then?

Many greetings, Martin

yes, please do! have a great weekend!

Martin59

Hello hmagrini,

then we close the post with this.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to create a new post.

Many greetings, stay healthy and also you a nice weekend.

Best regards, Martin