abbrechen
Suchergebnisse werden angezeigt für 
Stattdessen suchen nach 
Meintest du 
Aktuelle Eilmeldungen

TV: Kabelfernsehen wird Mietersache. Jetzt handeln!
Deine Störung ist nicht dabei? Dann nutz unseren Störungsfinder!

Frage

Antwort

Lösung

Shameless throttling by Vodafone
MMKP
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

(Ich muss auf Englisch schreiben, bei Bedarf den Übersetzer verwenden)

Why is Vodafone so shamelessly throttling the bandwidth?

How can you charge for 1Gb and deliver 3Mb (top) on both Wifi (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels) and LAN? That is a crime!

Read carefully what I am going to write before you reply with something dumb and useless!

For about 4 weeks now our internet is barely crawling, in some rare occasions reaching 10Mb, but almost never getting past 3.4Mbps. A reminder: we are paying for 1Gbps! (And it was working not too great, but acceptable for maybe more than a year, so do not bother with "location" and similar nonsense, it's the same spot, same setup, same devices).

As being a tech myself I did all the troubleshooting possible, tried to repair it myself if I could somehow, but it's obviously throttled. How do I know that? Simple: I have to use VPN to make it faster (VPN should slow down the bandwidth, not increase it!). In past 4 weeks I got normal internet only on two occasions (and that lasted for just couple of hours): after I reset the router; and after I called Vodafone several times telling that I see that it's being throttled. Various speed tests during those weeks just repeat the results. Vodafone speedtest says that the provider is sending towards me about 900Mbps and I am receiving 3 or 4 or 8Mbps, depending of a moment. Tested with multiple devices (laptops, mobile phones, tv,and every time with only one device connected to the internet in order to eliminate the possibility of a leak. All the same). I suspected the modem / router cause it's not that great anyway, but I am absolutely sure it's not the issue with router cause simply the speed would not increase on VPN if that was the case.

But why am I SO angry right now?

Because I reported all the above, nicely, elaborately, asked for assistance and to stop throttling my connection or to provide any different assistance / solution to the obvious issue. And what did I get? Some imbecile closed the ticket saying THAT WE HAVE INTERNET! 

You cannot just decrease bandwidth to nothing and keep charging for it and then say "you have internet"!

Attached is some quick test performed while writing this.

We need immediate solution because we already waited for too long (didn't even report the issue until last week hoping that you will stop doing it), or we need reimbursement because we are not getting the service that we are paying for! Do not even dare to ask for any basic "troubleshooting" again because it was all done multiple times and it's described above. The time is only for solution.

IMG_20210802_004959.jpg

18 Antworten 18
MMKP
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

Yes, you are right @Kieferer . There is much bigger problem here besides not getting the paid service (which is rather often in Germany when it comes to technology, apparently)... and that is: the world is overloaded with the presumptuous incompetents of your kind that are not capable of assisting but are there only to meddle where it's not their place and forcibly make the things worse by feeding their ego and maintaining their shallowness. Especially when they do not even bother to understand the simple sentence, and try to see how and what it is written... 

Just for the record, English is not even my native language but (if you read the sentence properly you would understand)  I offered it as a modus of communication when the technician comes so that we will be able to communicate beter as the English is something that is now spread over the globe and is most probable that you will  have people speaking it and will manage to communicate by it, this way or another (not that I am too happy about it, but that is the situation. I would mabye even be able to communicate in some level of German and would have someone that speaks it, but I do not see how is this any of your concern because that would be discussed with tehnician or the moderator... )... But I do not know why would I even bother explaining as you would not understand something simple as that for you evidently do not even bother to read or think before you spill the nonsense. Talking about problems...

By the way, you can ask for German speaking technician everywhere. It would be normal human behaviour. Doesn't mean that you will be served (actually, sometimes even will be), but you have the right to ask and hope... Anyway, I am still bothering to explain basic humanity principles to someone who wouldn't understand that, which you already proved in one simple sentence, and where was not your place.

So please, when you cannot help, and do not have anything intelligent to say, kindly try to be a human, shove your tiny ego, and remain quiet instead of trying to make things worse and annoy  people for absolutely no reason.

Martin59
Moderator:in

Hello MMKP,

I will be happy to commission the technician. Please send me a PN  with a current mobile phone number, the info if you can access the house system and if there are signs of Covid-19?

After that please leave a short feedback here.

I also note that a technician who speaks English is desired. But I can't promise if it will work then.

Best regards, Martin

Bewertet hilfreiche Beiträge mit Likes und Sternen!
MMKP
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

Hi Martin,

thanks for the reply and assistance.

I've sent you a PM as you requested. If anything else is needed, please let me know.

Best regards,
MMKP

Martin59

Hello MMKP,

I have just ordered the technician and stored both phone numbers.

With the house system is meant the Kabel-Deutschland box, the technicians have the key for it. 🙂

Best regards, Martin

MMKP
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

Thanks, Martin 😉

Then they can bring the key, we'll show them the box 🙂

Best regards

MMKP
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

Got the new modem.

Now let's see how will it behave after some time. 

Jens

Hello MMKP,

sound good. Will a test by the end of the week be enough for you to report back here?

Regards

Jens

MMKP
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

I am still monitoring it and letting it settle down to see the behaviour. Also reset the devices just to make a push. For now it seems to be working relatively fine (after 2 days), though some devices are  being dropped form time to time (which was also happening with previous modem periodically). Anyway, seems to be working for now (pretty much the same way the previous one was behaving before this last issue started). So we can leave it as a "success" for now. If there will be recurring issues I will get back, but except from dropping the connectivity with some devices, seems to be working modestly fine (I know that these modems are no good, so I I am trying not to expect too much of them, but anyway reporting the behaviour).

Thank you all for assistance.

api1988
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

Heyo,

I know this dates, but... did anyone solve your issue?

I'm having the exact same "lanattack" drops, but this just looks like a misconfiguration of their opensource firewalls inside the modem.
Unfortunately, the modem doesn't have ssh port open so, we are condemned to accept their misue of ACL/ipsec tools... Also, impossible to get the first line agents to escalte the issue to network security engineers... they would just blindly follow howto scripts on their screens:

Here's the exact same issue i reported:

https://forum.vodafone.de/t5/St%C3%B6rungen-im-Kabel-Netz/LANNATTACK-DROP-SERVICE-BLOCKED/m-p/297335...

If the issue is not solved, i will gather all this forum's evidence and go to court. This is scam. They block you with a 2 year contract but then do not provide quality service.