abbrechen
Suchergebnisse werden angezeigt für 
Stattdessen suchen nach 
Meintest du 
Aktuelle Eilmeldungen

TV: Kabelfernsehen wird Mietersache. Jetzt handeln!
Deine Störung ist nicht dabei? Dann nutz unseren Störungsfinder!

Frage

Antwort

Lösung

Connection drop during skype/whatsapp calls
aravindh_m
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

Hi,

I apologies for not speaking German. I can however translate any German replies, so please feel to write in whichever language you prefer.

I am a new Vodafone cable internet customer in Berlin. I have the Red Internet & Phone 1000 Cable package. I am trying to use Skype/WhatsApp voice calls. When using either of these services the wifi connection to my Fritzbox router disconnects every few seconds making a continuous call infeasible. I am using the phone app in both cases. Skype and WhatsApp are not the problem here as the same call works perfectly fine over my mobile 4G connection. My phone is also not a problem as the Wifi connection works perfectly fine when watching Netflix/Youtube.

Please let me know what information you may require to help diagnose the problem. The information I have so far is that speedtest results show a download speed between 50 - 184 Mbits per second (<< 1000 Mbits per second 😞 ). Latency to speedtest.net's server is 9-10 milliseconds.

27 Antworten 27
Claudia
Ex-Moderator:in

Hello aravindh_m,

do you have another device that you can connect with an ethernet cable and start a Skype call with? Please also perform a speedtest through LAN. Do the problems with the calls and the low speed occur all the time or rather during the rush hour?

Kind regards,

Claudia

Bewertet hilfreiche Beiträge mit Likes!

Hi,

I checked with another device using an ethernet connection instead of wifi. Speedtest results are as follows:

93.20 Mbps (Mega-bits-per-second) download

49.99 Mbps (Mega-bits-per-second) upload.

The slow speed is not specific to rush hour. I have tried it previously in the early hours of the morning and at mid day as well.

Skype calls now seem to work okay. I shall update you in this regard on Monday as the problem last occured during calls on Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

Best Wishes,

Aravindh

Update: Previously I reported that the wifi disconnects on my phone every few minutes during Skype calls. This has now improved considerably with a wifi disconnect every 15 minutes or so instead of every couple of minutes. No settings have changed though. Unfortunately the disconnects still do happen. This problem does not exist when doing skype calls using ethernet.

I collected some ping statistics to diagnose the issue. It appears that ping response delay has a high variance when using wifi despite the router being within a meter of the device.
Ping statistics over wifi:
30 packets transmitted, 30 received, 0% packet loss, time 79ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 25.944/68.112/156.695/37.979 ms

The same device over ethernet gives:
41 packets transmitted, 41 received, 0% packet loss, time 106ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 24.534/27.489/34.835/2.574 ms

In both of the above cases I pinged www.google.com. Note that the maximum and median deviation over wifi are considerably higher.

Hello aravindh_m,

did you check if some eco mode is enabled in your Fritzbox? Getting only 100 MBit/s each time of the day through ethernet smells like eco mode somehow. I would also like to check your access. For that, I will need your customer data (customer number, address and date of birth). Reply here again after you sent the data via private message.

Kind regards
Claudia

Hello Claudia,

I checked the Fritzbox front and back panel and also logged in as admin at 192.168.0.1 (expert mode) to check if there was an eco setting. I could not find this setting. Online blog posts say I should try http://fritz.box . This gives an ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED . 

I have sent you a private message with the requested information.

Best Wishes,

Aravindh

Hi @aravindh_m ,

since I don't have the English FRITZ!Box UI, I can't give "100% exact" hints...

... but I believe @Claudia was talking about the "Green Mode" of LAN ports which can be activated somewhere (ONLY dumb translation from German... may look different in the FB 6490 UI) below "Home Network... Network... Network settings... LAN settings...)

BUT: Be aware of a bug in FRITZ!OS 7.01 (latest AVAILABLE version at VF), which occurs when ANY "Fast Ethernet" (supporting max .100 Mbps) device (unsure, if you're really using one of such rather old devices?) is connected to the box... THEN all ports WILL see that impact... placing a Gbps switch "inbetween" should cure that.

BR,

SIGSEGV2

Hi @SIGSEGV2 ,

The UI I see is indeed very different. The menubar has options "Uebersicht, Telefon, Internet, WLAN, Einstellungen, Status&Hilfe". Lan settings are available under "Einstellungen -> LAN". This has things like IP adresse, IP Subnetz maske, Hostname, and DHCP parameters. There is no reference to Green/Eco/mode. Similarly under "Status&Hilfe" I see LAN status which lists "Downstream-Kanaele" and "Upstream-Kanaele".

Regarding Fritzbox OS version and the bug you mentioned: My Fritzbox firmware version is 01.01.117.01.EURO. I have only connected my laptop to it at the moment which has a Gigabit ethernet adapter.

Note that I am primarily using firefox on windows.

Best Wishes,

Aravindh

Aaah... I missed that it's a 1000 Mbps connection, so you are using a FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable (not the 6490 model) , right?

Nevertheless those "Power/Green Mode" settings should be located at "Heimnetz"... "Netzwerk"... "Netzwerkeinstellungen" (2nd tab), see also here AVM knowledge base

Maybe you have to switch to the "enhanced" view of the GUI in the lower left, i.e. "Ansicht: Erweitert" instead of "Ansicht: Standard", but at least "Heimnetz" is visible in the standard view of my FB 6490.

BR,

SIGSEGV2

Claudia

Hello aravindh_m,

now I'm a bit confused. You mentioned a Fritzbox, but there's an Arris modem online right now. Do you use an own Fritzbox which is connected with the Arris?

Kind regards,

Claudia