abbrechen
Suchergebnisse werden angezeigt für 
Stattdessen suchen nach 
Meintest du 
Aktuelle Eilmeldungen

TV: Kabelfernsehen wird Mietersache. Jetzt handeln!
Deine Störung ist nicht dabei? Dann nutz unseren Störungsfinder!

Frage

Antwort

Lösung

Connection drop during skype/whatsapp calls
aravindh_m
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

Hi,

I apologies for not speaking German. I can however translate any German replies, so please feel to write in whichever language you prefer.

I am a new Vodafone cable internet customer in Berlin. I have the Red Internet & Phone 1000 Cable package. I am trying to use Skype/WhatsApp voice calls. When using either of these services the wifi connection to my Fritzbox router disconnects every few seconds making a continuous call infeasible. I am using the phone app in both cases. Skype and WhatsApp are not the problem here as the same call works perfectly fine over my mobile 4G connection. My phone is also not a problem as the Wifi connection works perfectly fine when watching Netflix/Youtube.

Please let me know what information you may require to help diagnose the problem. The information I have so far is that speedtest results show a download speed between 50 - 184 Mbits per second (<< 1000 Mbits per second 😞 ). Latency to speedtest.net's server is 9-10 milliseconds.

27 Antworten 27

Hi Claudia,

I think I wrongly assumed my router is a Fritzbox. Indeed there is no label on it saying Fritzbox nor Arris. I also checked my bill and other paperwork but still do not know what router I was given. I have simply connected whatever vodafone sent in the package. Is there a green mode setting for this model?

The IU is indeed very different from what @SIGSEGV2 is describing.

Best Wishes,

Aravindh

ERFD
Ex-Moderator:in

Hello aravindh_m,

We gave you an Arris modem. This is also connected. What is this Fritz!box you are running behind the modem? Can you please have a closer look what kind of devices are connected to you? Should be visible.

Best regards Fred

Bewertet hilfreiche Beiträge mit Likes und Sternen!
aravindh_m
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. I clarify my setup below:

The Arris TG3442DE router is connected to the wall internet socket. My Thinkpad laptop directly connects to the Arris router using an RJ45 connector. There is no Fritzbox. I was under the wrong impression that the Arris was a Fritzbox.

Is there a green mode for the Arris TG3442DE? Also I believe it is causing occasional connection drops during my skype calls.

Best Wishes,

Aravindh

Claudia

Hello aravindh_m,

how do you realise the drops, do calls get interrupted? Does the modem restart at that times? Are other connections affected by this as well? When was the last drop? The Arris router doesn't have a green mode.

Kind regards,

Claudia

Bewertet hilfreiche Beiträge mit Likes!

Hi Claudia,

I realise the drops as an interruption in the call. At this time skype tries to reconnect the call and reports a weak connection. I also note that this coincides with the wifi disconnecting from my device. The call restores immediately after the wifi has reconnected. All of this happens too quickly (~5 seconds) so I believe it is not a modem restart. However, in some cases the skype call reconnection times-out and I need to dial again. I have not checked if there is a wifi disconnect from other devices during this interruption.

Should I change router channels (it is on auto select at the moment)? Router placement?

Best Wishes,

Aravindh

ERFD

Hello aravindh_m,

thanks for the clarification 🙂 No, the modem has no settings for the LAN connections. Is GBit Ethernet active?

Best regards Fred

aravindh_m
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

Hi Fred,

I shall check the GBit Ethernet settings on my laptop and get back to you later. I have also purchased a new ethernet adapter for another laptop (no ethernet port available) to be able to test on that machine. The speedtest results vary considerably between the two laptops when using wireless (100 vs 250 Mbps). The adapter will arrive in a few days.

Meanwhile if we could somehow optimize the router wifi to avoid call drops during skype that will be great. I use skype on my phone on a regular basis for international calling.

Best Wishes,

Aravindh

ERFD

Hello aravindh_m,

you can't optimize very much. You can check the channel assignment and make sure that you don't have so many foreign frequencies on yours. Make sure that there are no electrical devices near the modem. Then maybe see if 5 GHz also work on the mobile phone. And because not so many errors occur. Are there problems with other devices via Skype?

Best regards Fred

aravindh_m
Netzwerkforscher
Netzwerkforscher

Hi Fred (@ERFD),

I am reviving this thread as the original issue was unresolved.

Recap of the problem: Skype / Whatsapp calls from my mobile phone disconnect frequently (Once/twice per minute of conversation) . The router drops the wifi connection to my phone during the call. The router itself does not register any internet disruption during this brief call interruption.

Skype calls work ok from my laptop suggesting that this might be correlated with the weaker antenna on typical mobile phones combined with a weak wifi. Adjusting router placement did not help (even if it is within 1 meter of the router, Wifi audio calls drop around once every 2 minutes). My phone supports 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz)

My guess is that a third party router with more antennas might improve wifi connection reliability on my phone. I am considering the Nest Wifi (4x4 Antenna setup). I have some questions in this regard:

1. What is the antenna setup on the Arris TG3442DE (current router)?

2. Is it possible to connect a third party router via an RJ45 to the Arris and use that for the wifi?

3. Any alternative solutions that you might suggest?

Best Wishes,

Aravindh

ERFD

Hello aravindh_m,

to 1. Dual Band 4x4:4@5GHz & 3 x 3:3@2.4GHz antennas, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wave2 (5GHz band, MU-MIMO, Channel Widths: 20, 40, 80, 80-80, 160MHz, QAM256 modulation, gross throughput 1.52Gbps-2.26Gbps)

to 2. Yes, you can use any router that can establish an IP-based connection.

to 3. From what I've read, you've already tried everything. Are specific mobile phones affected?

Best Regards Fred