Frage

Antwort

Lösung

High latency, high jitter, high bufferbloat, slow speeds
RichardCrosby
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

Hi everyone,

I'm on a 1000/50 plan with Vodafone but ever since signing up in January of this year, I am getting the absolute worst performance.

Here's my setup:

• Vodafone Station in Bridge Mode
  • My own router
  • Desktop ethernet connection to the router

First issue is the bandwidth is nowhere near the contracted amount. https://speed.cloudflare.com shows 667 Mbps (often this drops down to 300Mbps) and upload (the main issue) is 4.60Mbps.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 133123.png

More concerning, is the 1.52s latency on upload; a sign of some severe bufferbloat. Usually I'd attribute this to my own networking/router setup, but this time it's because of the incredibly small upload bandwidth available.

Waveform Bufferbloat tests (just like the Cloudflare ones above), show extreme bufferbloat:

Screenshot 2023-11-06 140532.png

67ms unloaded latency is poor. 469Mbps download is poor. 2Mbps upload is poor. But worst of all is the +3.5s upload latency.

PingPlotter results aren't much better:

Screenshot 2023-11-06 141031.png

A technician has already been round, to give me the usual (useless) advice of:

1. Use a different cable

2. Restart your modem/router

Then plugged in his device to test the cable and deem it okay. 

There's obviously a line disruption here. How do I get this fixed? I'm paying for the most expensive Vodafone cabel package there is, but my crappy 4g connection is more stable for work and video calls than this.

8 Antworten 8
Kurtler
SuperUser
SuperUser

Since August 15th, 2022 there is no more individual support here in the forum. Support in English is available via Facebook or Twitter.

Best regards Kurt

Bitte keine Anfragen über PN stellen!
RichardCrosby
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

Unhelpful as always. Thanks.

Kurtler
SuperUser
SuperUser

Nobody can help you here because nobody can look at your line.

This is just a customer helping customer forum.

You can post the signal levels of the router.

RichardCrosby
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

Why would the customer support be removed from this forum. It was the only place people could actually get any reliable help. Now the only option is Facebook or Twitter (neither of which I have), or pay for a technician to come out and most likely do nothing. 

How is it so difficult to provide functioning internet. If there are only customers here on this useless forum, maybe someone else can also share any tips on how to fix this since Vodafone won't do anything.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 155615.png

Kurtler
SuperUser
SuperUser

Post a screenshot of the router's signal values. To display the signal values, proceed as follows: Open the user interface > Click on Status & Help at the top right >
Then open the Docsis Status menu item on the left, where the signal values are displayed.

RichardCrosby
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

Screenshot 2023-11-06 162558.pngScreenshot 2023-11-06 162610.pngScreenshot 2023-11-06 162620.png

RichardCrosby
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

From what I can tell...upload signal strength is very low. Recommended DOCSIS 3.1 standards seem to be +35 dBmV to +47 dBmV.

The signal strength on downstream also seems too high:

-7 dBmV to +7 dBmV "Recommended"
-8 dBmV to -10 dBmV / +8 dBmV to +10 dBmV - "Acceptable"
-11 dBmV to -15 dBmV / +11 dBmV to +15 dBmV - "Maximum"
Lower than -15 dBmV & Higher than +15 dBmV - "Out Of Spec."

SNR seems fine apparently.

There's also a Fehler on channel 9 of upstream.

Kurtler
SuperUser
SuperUser

Some of your dBmV/dBuV values of the downstream channels are too high.The dBmV/dBuV values of the upstream channels are too low for this. There is also a problem with the DOCSIS 3.1 of the upstream channel. Only Vodafone can help you and send you a technician.