abbrechen
Suchergebnisse werden angezeigt für 
Stattdessen suchen nach 
Meintest du 
Aktuelle Eilmeldungen

TV: Kabelfernsehen wird Mietersache. Jetzt handeln!
Deine Störung ist nicht dabei? Dann nutz unseren Störungsfinder!

Fraud attempt on my account - Betrugsversuch auf meinem Konto
sb5
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer
I wanted to make you all aware of an attempt of fraud that happened on my account and seek some help/advise. 

I am an existing Vodafone mobile phone customer since 2021.

On Friday 26 August, someone tried to make/order a new mobile phone contract in my name and using some of my details. And Vodafone employee actually made the contract, though he was suspicious! Isn't this strange?

First I received an email on Friday, 26 August, saying that a new contract has been concluded in my name and few minutes later I received a call from Vodafone Service number 0172 1217212. The Vodafone employee who called me (I assume its the same person who received the call from the fraudulent person and actually made the contract) said someone tried to order a new contract in my name but was not able to provide all necessary information correctly, which was suspicious to him! I cannot believe, if there was already a suspicion, why was the contract concluded in the first place? Isn't it logical to verify all necessary information before concluding the contract but rather later? To him I replied, I DID NOT request any new contract and hence asked him to cancel it. He said he did and also said that he put a note in the system saying this is an attempt of fraud. I kind of believed him and waited for the cancellation confirmation, but non came! Rather, after few hours I got an email saying my order has been initiated and agaon on Saturday I got a notification from DHL with tracking details. Surprising!! 

I then called the Vodafone service hotline 0800 1721212 on Sunday to see what was going on. The receiver was kind to speak english. I really appreciate his efforts. But to my surprise, the contract was not cancelled and there was no note about this being a fraudulent attempt! So, I requested him to cancel it, but he said he cannot not do it because he cannot verify if I am actual account holder, even though I was calling from a mobile that is currently in active contract with Vodafone. And hence asked me to send a letter by post. What can be more frustrating than this? Vodafone does not need any verification to conclude a new contract but needs additional verification for a request to cancel a fraudulent contract despite me using the number that is currently active with Vodafone? Bizarre, isn't it? 

I will definitely send a letter but also wanted to see if there is a faster way to cancel it. I definitely do not want to pay for something that I never ordered, hence someone could please guide me here. 

Has anyone else faced a similar situation? Do you suggest to make a complain to the police about this? Appreciate your feedback and input. 
7 Antworten 7
MichaM
Ex-Moderator:in
Ex-Moderator:in

Hey @sb5,

Sorry to read you are having this issue.

Since you have been notified by email about this new subscription, including the order number, you can take the necessary steps available.

One way is to use the site vodafone.de/retoure

This makes sense if the order included a new mobile hardware.

Else, you can always use our standard form sheet for revoking any contract within fourteen (14) days.

If you need assistance, our service teams at the following channels will be happy to help:

* WhatsApp: 0172 1217212.

* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vodafoneDEservice

* Twitter: https://twitter.com/vodafoneservice

For more ways to get support, please check the following thread:

https://forum.vodafone.de/t5/Vodafone-News/Euer-Kontakt-zu-Vodafone/td-p/1912292

For an overview on your right to revoke, please refer to the revocation form sheet.

I'm sure the issue will be solved fast.

Best regards

Micha

Bewertet hilfreiche Beiträge mit Likes und Sternen!
sb5
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer
Appreciate you replying to my post, Micha. I was able to cancel the fraudulently ordered Mobile phone contract by calling Vodafone service hotline and a nice lady helped me out with the cancellation. I have confirmation email. 

But this this did not end there. On Monday 28.08, I found out that they could activate eSIM on my number and then "somehow" activate telephone banking on my bank account and tried to transfer money to a country outside Germany. I found this out in time hence was able to stop it. Criminal complaint is logged with the police.

The service hotline says the eSIM was activated using my Kunden password. But I changed my Kunden password on Saturday. So this is quite surprising to me as to how they could get hold of the recently changed Kunden password. None of my devices are comprised nor anyone else has/had access to my personal devices.

On Monday itself, I went to a Vodafone shop and changed my SIM card (card with different serial number) to a plastic SIM. And surprisingly again on Tuesday eSIM was activated for my number. Then, again, I went to the same shop and got another plastic SIM card. Also requested a new number as the current one is exposed and continuing to use it is a big risk. No further attempt is seen after this, but I am a bit shaken and worried as it can repeat.

Another surprise, this morning I got an SMS asking me to install my Kable router in next 5 days. Calling the hotline I found out that that fraudsters had ordered a Kable contract together with mobile contract on 26.08. But since they used a different email id, hence I did not get any notification about it, nor any one from the service hotline/Vodafone shop could tell me. Requested the hotline to change the associated email to my email, cancel the contract and send me a confirmation. The email is changed but, unfortunately, it is few hours now and haven't received any cancellation confirmation yet.

To me, continuing to use the service from Vodafone seems to be a big risk, as it looks to be so easy to order new contracts using existing data that Vodafone has about me and I have to spend hours to cancel it and maybe pay for something that I never ordered. I would like to get in touch with someone from Consumer Protection and Cyber Security department or someone senior in the customer service department and understand more details on how this could have happened and what can be done in future to avoid something similar from happening. Would you be able to help me with connecting to someone. Thanks.

Have you been asked by the "Vodafone" hotline that called you to expose and/or change your customer password and/or did you give it to them?

It might be that the person that was calling you was NOT a Vodafone representative, but instead was the fraudster and now has your current customer password and thus is able to do anything they want using your "changed" customer password.

Usually if Vodafone calls you, they won't ask for legitimation details - as they were calling you. If you are asked to tell them any details after being called, it's most likely a scam.

The vodafone person who called me was after I got an emial saying a new mobile phone contract is in place, so I assume the fraudseter had my password before that, else how could a new contracts be made. 

No the vodafone person that called me (on Friday) did not ask for any legitimation details but suggested that I change my credentials which I did by going to Vodafone's webpage and not by clicking on any links or anything. I changed my login password immediately (on Friday itself) and the Kunden kentword a day after. Yet, my password was exposed and the fraudster was able to activate eSIM (on Monday). Changed my passwrd again on Monday and eSIM was activated on Tuesday as well and this is very surprising. 

Do you have reports of 0172 1217212. number being spoofed? Thanks.  

How can you be sure that nobody has access to your devices or that they are not compromised?

sb5
Smart-Analyzer
Smart-Analyzer

I analyzed them with the help of a CybSec professional. 

Well, that doesn't fit with the events described.